[Large Text Size]  [Normal Text Size]  [Dark Theme]  [Light Theme]  [Graphical Version]

Disabled Children & Young Person's Passport Guidance

What is the Disabled Children & Young Person's Passport?

All Local Authorities have a duty to have a record or register of disabled children in their area, under the Childcare Act 1989. Our Disabled Children & Young Persons Passport is Liverpool's way of doing this.

Who does it cover?

If you have a disabled child or young person between birth and 25 years, you can sign them up for the Disabled Children & Young Person's Passport. Our local definition of disability is based on the Equality Act 2010, which states that a person is disabled if they have a physical or mental impairment that has "substantial" and "long term" negative effects on their ability to do normal daily activities.

Some examples of what this would include are:-

ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), Autism or Aspergers, Behavioural / Emotional or Social Difficulties, Cerebal Palsy, Complex Health Needs, Dyspraxia, Global Development Delay, Learning Difficulty, Mobility Difficulty, Palliative Care Needs and Sight and / or Hearing Impairments.

Do I have to sign up to it?

No - signing up for the Disabled Children & Young Person's Passport is completely voluntary - but we would encourage you to do so.

So why should I sign up then?

Once we have your details we will be able to keep you informed of what is available in the area and we will be able to tell you about any planned changes or developments that may affect your child. The information that we will get from you signing up for the Passport will also mean we have a clearer picture of where disabled children live and what their needs are. This will help us plan support services more effectively when reviewing and setting them up.

Who will use the information I give you?

The statistics we will get from the Passport will be used for planning purposes. The information may be shared with genuine service providers of the Council to process the information on our behalf. We will also be working closely with the NHS in planning future integrated provision and may want to share this information with them. Registering for a Passport will not affect any services or benefits that you currently recieve. It will also not guarantee your child any additional benefits of services.

What do I need to do to sign up?

All you need to do is click the Register button below. Once registered on the site, you can then "Sign In" and add a record on to the Disabled Childrens Register. If you need any further information you can contact...

Judith Moizer, Early Help Information Officer, Early Help Service, 5th Floor, Cunard Building, Water Street, Liverpool, L3 1DH or email Judith.moizer@liverpool.gov.uk

Telephone 0151 233 0499