Skip to main content

St John Bosco Arts College

St John Bosco Arts College has a reputation for excellence and is the only secondary, National Teaching School in Liverpool. The school is one of 87 of the best schools and multi-academy trusts in the country to be designated as a Teaching School Hub from September 2021, meaning it is a centre of excellence for teacher training and development.


Who to contact

School web site

Where to go

61 Storrington Avenue
Croxteth, Liverpool
L11 9DQ

Time / Date Details

When is it on
Time of day

Local Offer




  1. How does the school know if young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?


Some of our staff meet with primary school teachers before your child joins the school to discuss the needs of each child. The SENCO will meet with other primary school SENCOs in the summer term to discuss individual student’s needs. The Pupil Progress Co-ordinator for Year 7 and/or the Primary Transition Officer will also meet with your child’s class teacher. The progress that your child makes will be monitored throughout their time at St John Bosco and interventions are put in place if children do not make progress.


Teachers and support staff will share any concerns regarding the progress a student is making with the Learning Support Department and Pupil Progress Coordinator. The SENDCO will look at the student’s data and may carry out some informal assessments. She will also contact parents or carers of the student. If parents or carers have concerns they should contact the Learning Support Department.


  1. How will school staff support my child?


If your child has additional needs, she will be supported by the college’s SENDCO who works closely with the Pupil Progress Co-ordinators for Years 7 to 13. The role of the SENDCO and PPC is in part to provide academic and pastoral support for your child. Your child may also work with Teaching Assistants in class who will support the work that they do. This may be in small groups or individually. In addition to this, your child might work with the SEND Teaching Assistants or SENDCO in small group intervention lessons. The SENDCO and subject leaders will monitor the progress of your child to ensure that the most appropriate intervention is being given to meet their needs.


  1. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?


At St John Bosco Arts College we recognise that children need to learn in an environment that matches their needs. We understand that the students we teach have different learning styles and that some students learn at a different pace to their peers. The teachers plan lessons giving consideration to the student’s ability and needs, in order to help them to make progress and achieve good outcomes. It also allows the pace of the lesson to be appropriately matched to the learner’s needs, so that progress can be made. Your child’s progress will be monitored closely in a number of ways:


  • marking of class and homework,
  • end of unit assessments,
  • formal end of term reports.

There will be opportunities for you to discuss this at Parent’s Evenings with your child’s form tutor and subject teachers.


  1. What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?


There are many ways in which your child’s wellbeing will be supported. Our college has a strong pastoral team who will provide help and guidance for students. This team includes the form tutor, Pupil Progress Coordinator, the Head of Care and Safeguarding, the school chaplain and the manager of the Laura Vicuna Centre. If necessary the Pupil Progress Coordinator will inform staff of any needs your child may have on a Pastoral Care Register. In addition to this, the school have a KS3 nurture provision accessible for students who may be experiencing SEMH needs. Break and lunch time clubs are available for those students who prefer a quieter space to sit during these social times, which are supervised by a member of staff. If your child has medical needs you may be invited into the college along with the relevant member of staff from health services to discuss your child’s Medical Plan. Parents of pupils who need to take medication during the school day, will have to complete the necessary paperwork held at the school office, where all medication is kept and accounted for, in line with the school’s medical policy.


Your child will have the opportunity and be encouraged to contribute their point of view through Pupil Voice activities and the student council.


  1. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?


The college has close links with outside agencies that can support the needs of the students. The college accesses specialist services when appropriate. These include:-




The Sensory Service for students with a hearing or visual impairment


The Educational Psychology Service


Speech and Language Therapists




Occupational Therapists


Young Person’s Advisory Service (YPAS)


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS),


Education Welfare,


Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service (EMTAS).


Purple Circle Autism  Consultancy.





Contact Name
Mrs L Godfrey
Contact Telephone
0151 330 5142
Contact Email
SEND Information Report
Local Offer Age Bands
Young Adults (16 to 25)
Secondary (11 to 16)
Have your say