Millstead Special Needs Primary School
Staff at Millstead School have a wealth of experience and expertise in teaching children aged 2-11 years who have profound and multiple learning difficulties, severe learning difficulties and complex autism. Pupils must have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) unless they have an assessment place.
Millstead School has been awarded the following accreditations by external organisations:
· Teaching School status – Millstead is one of 4 Teaching Schools in the Merseyside Special Teaching Schools Alliance.
· MOVE Centre of Excellence – the MOVE programme focuses on gaining independent movement and teaches the skills of sitting, standing & walking.
· National Autistic Society – Autism Accreditation.
· Basic Skills Quality Mark.
· Liverpool Reading Quality Mark – GOLD
· Liverpool Counts Quality Mark – GOLD
· Liverpool Inclusion Charter Mark.
Millstead School have trained trainers in the following:
· MAPA (Management of Actual & Potential Aggression) – BILD Accredited; focuses on the management & intervention techniques to de-escalate behaviour safely.
· Rebound Therapy – used to facilitate movement, promote sensory integration, improve fitness and improve communication skills
· Moving & Handling
· Use of the Climbing Wall
Staff at Millstead are trained to deliver:
· Forest School – enabling pupils to develop confidence and self-esteem, problem-solving skills, risk management and resilience
· LEGO Therapy – a social development programme for children with social communication difficulties; children develop skills such as sharing, turn-taking, following rules and solving problems.
· Swing Therapy – to strengthen the vestibular and proprioceptive systems by teaching the brain and body to work together, improving co-ordination, balance, body awareness and concentration.
· PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System).
2 staff are members of the Liverpool CAAT Team and offer advice and support to Liverpool schools regards Communication using Augmentative & Assisted Technology.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Millstead Special School
- L5 3LU
Millstead School is a large, single-storey, purpose-built provision with playgrounds to the front and rear. There are 15 classrooms, sports and dining halls and a number of therapeutic areas including a hydrotherapy pool, sensory integration room and trampoline room.
- Other notes
- Local Offer Age Bands
- Primary (5 to 11)