Skip to main content

SEND Mediation & Disagreement Resolution Service

We are contracted by Liverpool City Council to provide an impartial Mediation & Disagreement Resolution Service for parents and young people within the Liverpool region. More information is available on our website. Our contact details are:-

website -

email -

phone - 0151 363 3972


Who to contact

Contact Name
Joseph Mulrooney
Contact Position
Accredited SEND Mediator
Mediatelegal website

Mediatelegal is a Liverpool City Centre based mediation panel. We are accredited by the Civil Mediation Council to provide mediation services. We are contracted by Liverpool City Council to provide an impartial Mediation & Disagreement Resolution Service for parents and young people within the Liverpool region. 

What is Mediation?

In a typical SEND dispute, it is often the case that everybody involved simply wants the best outcomes for the child or young person with SEND. Any disagreement often occurs when people can’t agree on what provision is needed to ensure that best outcome is achieved. Mediation is a voluntary, confidential and without prejudice process. It allows the parties to come together and speak openly and honestly about their concerns and aspirations in a SEND disagreement.

Mediation is an informal and non-confrontational meeting that gives the parent(s) / young person the opportunity to speak with the LA about EHC decisions if they disagree with them. Everything discussed at a mediation is confidential and without prejudice. This means that everybody involved can speak openly and honestly with one another, knowing that nothing they say can later be used against them.

Our SEND mediators make sure that everyone at the meditation has the same opportunities to speak and be heard.

You can find out more about SEND mediation here.


What is Disagreement Resolution?

As well as a Mediation service, every LA must also provide access to a DRS for parents, carers and young people who have concerns about support, and how it is being provided. DRS is entirely voluntary for both parents/young persons/carers and also the LA. DRS is available to be requested for disputes involving children / young persons with SEN, and it doesn’t matter whether that child or young person has an EHCP or not.

Mediation differs from DRS because Mediation is intended to be available to use each time a final decision has been made in respect of certain aspects of an EHCP. DRS can be used at any time if both sides agree to use it, including after an appeal has been lodged with the First Tier Tribunal. DRS is an early chance for all parties to discuss any conerns about support, regardless of whether there is an EHC Plan or not.

You can find out more about DRS here.

Where to go

Exchange Court
3.4c, 1 Dale Street
L2 2PP

Other Details


Our fees are paid by Liverpool City Council, as requred by law. There is no fee payable to us by the parent or young person.

Local Offer


The SEND Mediation and Disagreement Resolution Service is provided under the Local Offer

Contact Name
Joseph Mulrooney
Contact Telephone
0151 363 3972
Contact Email
Mediatelegal SEND website
Disagreement Resolution video
SEND Mediation video
Have your say